Thursday, August 8, 2013

Starting My Juicing Journey

Hi everyone! I'm Devon - wife, mother, teacher, writer, and unfortunately an overweight, diabetic, food addict. This is quite embarrassing to put all of this out there, but I really feel like I need to. Hopefully there are other people who can relate and will get inspired.

Here I am last Christmas with my husband. As you can see I am hiding my body as I try to do in every picture.
My food addiction started when I got to college and for the first time in my life I had complete control over my own eating. My habits were awful and have been awful ever since. I started college at 132 pounds thinking I was fat! As the years have gone by, I have added 60 pounds and have done every diet there is. I even tried phentermine pills three times, and had a breast reduction and tummy tuck thinking that would help me look skinnier. When I got married at age 31, I weighed 175 pounds and after our first child was born I weighed in at a whopping 200. I had gestational diabetes with the pregnancy which turned into type 2 diabetes. I have been living in total denial that I am a diabetic - still eating whatever I want and feeling horrible every time I have to get bloodwork done or see my doctor. Speaking of eating - I am definitely an emotional eater. I eat when I am happy, sad, angry, stressed, oh and simply awake! Ha, ha. I probably consume 3,000 calories a day. I have hidden food from my mother and my husband by going through the drive-thru at McDonalds and then taking out the garbage before anyone finds out. It's definitely a sickness.

So last Saturday night my husband wanted to watch this documentary called "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" about an amazing man named Joe Cross from Australia who ate (drank) nothing but juice for 60 days and lost over 80 pounds. His auto-immune disease also was totally cured. I was immediately inspired and knew this is what I must do. I must "reboot" my system and stop this food addiction once and for all before I literally kill myself. I had to get a juicer and begin in the morning. It was Sunday and I knew Bed, Bath, and Beyond would not be open until 10 a.m. and I had to have breakfast, so we went to the grocery store and bought a "Naked" juice called "Green Machine". It is close to Joe's "Mean Green" and didn't taste that bad. Later that day we bought the juicer and got tons of veggies and fruits at Costco.

Here are the big, bad, ugly details:
Starting weight: 192.2
Measurements:
Breast 44"
Arm 15"
Thigh 26"
Hips 44" (and they don't lie)
Gut 41 1/2"

Wish me luck! Please feel free to leave a comment of encouragement or ask me a question, but please do not comment if you are going to be negative. I only need positive vibes sent my way! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment